Wednesday March 10, 2010
Graduate Application Guidelines
Graduate Program Admission
Applications for admission must be received by the Department of Biological Sciences by January 8th to be considered for both admission and funding for fall semester of the following academic year. All admissions are based on a hierarchal ranking of students and, if the student requires financial aid, on the availability of funding. Application materials should be sent well in advance of the due date. Decisions regarding admissions will be made by the Graduate Committee by March 1st.
- A 3.2 or better GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from the institution where you received your most recent degree(s)
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) scores must be above 50th percentile in all three areas. It is recommended that students have courses in calculus, organic chemistry, physics and courses in biology equivalent to Ohio University’s undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences.
- Non-native English speaking students must score a minimum 550 on the written or 213 on the computerized (TOEFL) or 90 on the iBT or a minimum of 6.5 across all bands for the IELTS.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (including prior training, research interests and career goals)
- Names of 3 potential advisors whose research interests match your interests. It is highly recommended that applicants contact faculty to determine the faculty’s willingness to serve as mentor and provide research support for the student.
Step 1: Visit the Graduate application website (www.ohiou.edu/graduate/apply/index.cfm) where you can apply online. Through the online application process applicants can request letters of recommendation and upload a Personal Statement. If you are unable to apply online, you may fill out a paper application (http://www.ohio.edu/graduate/upload/printapp1-20-2012.pdf) and mail to the Graduate College address below.
Step 2: Request GRE and, if applicable, TOEFL/IELTS scores to be sent directly to Ohio University (Institution Code: 1593).
Step 3: Request official transcripts be sent to the Graduate College from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. International candidates should consult Ohio University’s graduate application website (www.ohio.edu/graduate/apply/international.index.cfm) for specific requirements pertaining to the documentation of international degrees.
Graduate College mailing address:
Ohio University Graduate College
Athens, OH 45701
If you have questions, you may email the department at email@example.com or call (740) 593-2290.